Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Hidden Art


“Look at the streaks of lightning that split the black sky with zigzag patterns, or gasp over a northern light display. Watch a falling star cut through a night sky, and then look down over a cliff to the white foam bright in moonlight washing the rocks in black wetness. Swim in southern waters and open your eyes to the fish, a variety of shapes and colours, flashing among weeds and coral. These are God’s light shows." – Edith Schaeffer

God is the ultimate artist.
 “For by him were all things created, that are in heaven and that are in earth, visible and invisible.”- Colossians 1:16

I remember specifically thinking in high school about the question, “what is art?” and feeling very overwhelmed by the task of fully unraveling the mystery. To partially understand remains an easy task. I believe it is, as Colossians says, all things visible and invisible. Art is those things that communicate and communication itself. It is something, tangible or intangible, that is inclusive, revealing, inspiring, beautiful, expressive, refreshing, satisfying, imbued with structure or design, pleasing, painful, uncomfortable, comforting, communicative,  humbling, involving, reflective, convicting, instructive, transformative, powerful and dangerous. This is by no means an exhaustive list.

God is the ultimate artist. I am created in his image and as such am, in one sense of the word, an artist because of this. We all are. However, we are not His only creation. Art is not only in us, but all around us.

I was thinking yesterday about how often art on art occurs. For example, when I play my violin an inconceivable amount of art is working together and being produced simultaneously. 

1. My body and soul is a work of art. Each muscle, bone, cell, and the innate tendencies and desires God created in me from the moment of my inception were crafted. 
2.  My violin is a piece of art. It has an unique build and sound. As I look at the winding scroll, trace the elegant perfling around its body and admire the grain of the wood on the back, I am in awe of not only each raw part, but the craftsmanship, skill and design that is reflected.
3.  My performing and playing is art. There is the technical skill acquired through use of other arts such as thinking and movement of my body. Then there is the art of communicating a feeling, mood, picture, or who I am to my audience when I play. There is also art in the communication between myself and fellow performers when I am joined by others on stage.
4. The music itself is art. The speed of vibrations that differs for each note played, the beauty in how the notes visually lay on the page, and the harmonic, rhythmic and overall construction of form skillfully designed by the composer are reflective of artistry.

Where is the hidden art in your life? Thank you Edith Schaeffer for your artful and inspiring book...

No comments:

Post a Comment