Thursday, February 16, 2012

A Vision for Pittsburgh

The idea of moving to and living in Pittsburgh has never been a source of great joy for me. All the places I have lived have possessed a special draw- breathtaking mountains, vibrant culture, travel opportunities, a plethora of incredible music all around etc. In spite of the fact that my handy visitors map makes many lovely claims, I have remained unimpressed and skeptical. Here are a few of the things that Pittsburgh reportedly has to offer:

Pittsburgh is listed in New York magazine's 2007 Winter Travel Guide as a top pick for culture junkies, along with such cities as London and Vienna. (As a former resident of Vienna, I have to say there is simply no comparison.)

Pittsburgh is ranked ...

  • among the top 10 romantic spots across the country by MSN.com
  • the #1 most livable city in America by Places Rated Almanac
  • among the top 10 of the World's Cleanest Cities by Forbes Magazine 
  • 9th among the top 10 most literate cities in the United States.

It has been a struggle being here and I am finally starting to settle in. For one thing I have stopped toying with the idea of leaving prematurely and have finally accepted that this is where God has placed me right now. This is a time for me to find what God has for me to soak up here and now. I have also been placed here to minster to and engage with the people of  Pittsburgh. I am done fighting and am finally starting to accept this 2 year lesson on another angle of contentment. I am praying that God would give me eyes to see what he has for me. Below is my vision for Pittsburgh and a one I found on a church website.


My Vision For Pittsburgh


I want to see passion ignited, cold hearts awakened, and love restored for Jesus in the church body and population as a whole. I want to see the transformative power of lives surrendered to and used by Jesus sweep across this city. It is my prayer that historical roots would serve to anchor the church, rather than encumber a vibrant faith-filled, victorious existence. I want to see sound doctrine and truth preached from the pulpits and tongues of brothers and sisters to one another. I want to see crime and unkindness mitigated. I want to see dirt and potholes swept away. I want to see joy and hope on the faces of the poor and homeless. I want to see multitudes of talented university students passionately using their gifts for Christ's glory to minister and bring change. I want to see the large arts community of Pittsburgh transformed from a focus on entertainment and self gain into a vehicle through which God's truth and love is proclaimed.

A Vision For Pittsburgh - by Grace and Peace Church (Pittsburgh, PA)


Pittsburgh is a city at the crossroads. The smoggy steel city that once stood at the source of the Ohio River is a thing of the past. Today Pittsburgh is a vibrant technology-driven city, which other industrial cities are now looking to as an example of civic recovery.
While Pittsburgh has many of the amenities of a larger city, the warm and informal atmosphere found in its local neighborhoods means that Pittsburgh feels much more inviting than many other cities. Lawrenceville and Bloomfield are two such neighborhoods. On a summer night you'll find countless people walking around after dinner at a local restaurant or sitting on their front porch, chatting with each other, sometimes for hours.


Over the last several years Lawrenceville and Bloomfield have experienced dramatic changes. Where fifteen years ago Lawrenceville was known for drugs and prostitution, today
it is a rapidly changing neighborhood which the Washington Post recently dubbed the Brooklyn of the Steel City. It has a vibrant arts scene and a large base of locally owned shops. The redevelopment of its commercial district and the establishment of a new children's hospital have begun to reshape the neighborhood. Similarly, Bloomfield has also redeveloped around a revitalized commercial district and West Penn Hospital, a major regional health provider.Though both neighborhoods are very diverse, each neighborhood could be seen as mainly comprised of working-class residents, with many people working for one of the two major hospitals. About half of the people have completed high school, a little over a quarter have a Bachelors degree, and around one in nine have a Graduate degree. Over 17,000 people live in the 2.5 sq. miles that make up Lawrenceville and Bloomfield.
While this area is densely populated and there is major redevelopment occurring, the spiritual vitality of the area is less evident. There are very few churches present in the community. Even most of the mainline protestant and Catholic churches are absent from Lawrenceville and Bloomfield, or are in the process of consolidating.


The residents of these neighborhoods need a local church that is willing to patiently walk with them as they examine Christ's claims. They need a church that understands that most people have not grown up with a Christian understanding of life. They need a church where they can continually celebrate his grace as they seek to follow him in every part of their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment