Friday, March 16, 2012

A Time for Everything Under the Sun

What gain has the worker from his toil? I have seen the business that God has given to the children of man to be busy with. He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also, he has put eternity into man's heart, yet so that he cannot find out what God has done from the beginning to the end. I perceived that there is nothing better for them than to be joyful and to do good as long as they live; also that everyone should eat and drink and take pleasure in all his toil—this is God's gift to man.
I perceived that whatever God does endures forever; nothing can be added to it, nor anything taken from it. God has done it, so that people fear before him.
- Ecclesiastes 3:9-14 


This week is spring break, an earned hiatus from my frenzied schedule and an opportunity to gear up for the final two months of the academic year. I went into it with a very long agenda, which included relaxation. One of the things I looked forward to was sitting down to quiet my heart and mind enough for some drawn out times of reflection and deep thinking. This is something that I enjoy, though life makes it difficult to engage in as frequently as I would like. As this week began, I found myself subconsciously avoiding thinking about the very things I had been eagerly anticipating pondering. I realized that I was overwhelmed by all the expectations various individuals, including myself, have for me. Expectations for quality of work, getting things done, making decisions, etc. I was putting intense pressure on myself to figure everything out and I didn't know how. Then I noticed the absurdity in this. It's not my job to figure anything out. God calls me to ask for his guidance, trust, wait, listen and then obediently act according to his leading. As for the expectations of others, if I am walking in obedience, their reaction does not matter. What peace and freedom there is in taking the focus off yourself and shifting it to Christ, who knows all, is all, does all and loves all.


"...also that everyone should eat and drink and take pleasure in all his toil—this is God's gift to man."

We are to live every moment to the fullest, learning and growing from everything- merriment and toil alike. This is God's gift to me, to you.

I've realized I am not fully soaking up the richness of every season, every situation I am placed in. When my time is filled with hard work I long for relaxation and when I relax, I think about what I should be doing, hampering my ability to fully enjoy the blessings and lessons God has for then. I have become much more content with living in Pittsburgh and the rest of my life right now, but on a smaller scale there is certainly room for growth.


No comments:

Post a Comment