Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Be Still My Soul

It always comes back to trust. In God I hope and find my strength. This is true, but these things are not yet a  part of every fiber of my being. When my world crumbles I am often not completely at peace. Each time I experience stress or trials I lapse into periods of doubt, fear and worry. Yes, much of the time I am at peace, secure in the hands of my ever- present, loving and all powerful father, but I don't wholly trust at all times and this is a problem. I am in awe when I look at how God has provided for my every need and how he has worked in my life in the past. Reminding myself of how He has proved faithful in my life and meditating on God's promises helps, but unfortunately combating these periods of unrest is still a part of my life. Maybe I have to keep struggling through scary trust building situations, because I just don't learn. How many of these do I have to work through before my reactions are consistently those of a person who truly believes that God is utterly in control and will work all things according to His good, glorious plan? A few weeks ago God gave me another opportunity. I prayed and struggled daily for about 2 1/2 weeks. Then in the eleventh hour I saw God act in ways I couldn't have imagined. One week later I find myself pessimistically curled up in the corner of a practice room immobilized by worry and doubt. How quickly I forget and how easily I despair. Reminding myself that this is all a process and I'm on the path.


I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears. Those who look to the Lord are radiant, and their faces shall never be ashamed. Psalm 34: 4-5

I've always loved Finlandia and the hymn, Be Still My Soul. The music itself is beautifully haunting and heroic.


Be Still My Soul   
Be still, my soul; the Lord is on thy side;
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain;
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul; thy best, thy heavenly, Friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

Be still, my soul; thy God doth undertake
To guide the future as He has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence, let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul; the waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while He dwelt below.

Be still, my soul, though dearest friends depart
And all is darkened in the vale of tears;
Then shalt thou better know His love, His heart,
Who comes to soothe thy sorrows and thy fears.
Be still, my soul; thy Jesus can repay
From His own fulness all He takes away.

Be still, my soul; the hour is hastening on
When we shall be forever with the Lord,
When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul; when change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.

No comments:

Post a Comment