Saturday, November 27, 2010

Contentment & Turkeys

Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me. Philippians 4:10-12
 
Within about three days of ending a trimester or semester I usually get sick. This time I've been battling it for almost a week. It's strange- like my body knows that it doesn't have to hold it together any longer. And so it's time for blogging!

This Thanksgiving I found myself thinking about the relationship between contentment and thankfulness. I think it's impossible to be content without being thankful. Being thankful isn't something we should practice to produce warm, fuzzy feelings or satisfy expectations. In essence it's not something we should do for ourselves or others- we should just live it, because every single person has numerous reasons to be thankful. I have this circular piece of plastic that I picked up at one of those artsy independent coffee shops. It says: " I walk in a constant state of gratitude."  That's the goal... Living every second in gratitude for who God is and what he has done-being content and thankful for the good and the bad. Focusing on what there is to be thankful for. Side note: I'm not advocating apathy here.

So this Thanksgiving I was thinking how ironic it is that on Thanksgiving Day, the one day of the year dedicated to being thankful, many people spend their time scouring the newspaper ads- planning their shopping route for the next day- or even that night. Apparently this year some sales started 10 PM on T Day. It's ironic that Black Friday is the next day and that so many people allow it to become the focus or at least a significant portion of their T Day instead of spending meaningful time with their family and friends. They think about what they don't have rather than what they do.

I'm sitting in my room on a Saturday night working on a mound of incomplete applications, blowing my nose and trying to drinking a small lake to get rid of my headache. Hello contentment. 

I'm going to skip the long "I'm thankful for ____" list that typically includes things like family, friends, shelter, food, air, snowflakes that melt on my nose and eyelashes, silver white winters that melt into springs, sleigh bells, schnitzel with noodles, and Christ's sacrifice. I'll just leave it at I am so very thankful that I get to go home for Christmas and that God is omnipotent, omniscient, merciful, personal and loving.

No comments:

Post a Comment