Monday, April 1, 2013

?????????

I'm clumsy. Let's just accept that fact, or rather, embrace it. I am no less of a person, because of it and have actually come to find it really funny ( in hind sight) that I regularly walk into objects - trees, lamp posts, tables, chairs and sometimes people. Basically,  I'm either tuned into my surroundings or I'm simply not and am acting in a haze. Origins are: Exhaustion and lack of coffee or, more commonly, thinking deeply about unrelated things while carrying out physical actions. Don't worry, I do try to mentally enter my physical world when I drive. Yesterday, I had some thoughts, while chopping veggies, which brought to mind the fact that I need to be more careful about when I do this thinking. Anyways, these thoughts are not yet fully developed, but the possible implications give me chills.

We speak about music as a language and it is- it's a language of the spirit, the soul. It has a way of conveying certain feelings or images to people across cultures and age groups that is not conditioned- small children, babies and animals react to certain sounds the same way adults do. In other words, this reaction is not based off of taught correlation. There is something very intrinsic about the how music communicates and is interpreted. What is music? Varying frequency, pitch and timing (rhythm). What are words? Music (pitch and rhythm) with assigned meaning. 

About a year ago a friend told me about an experience she had. She was at a service, playing her violin as an act of worship and someone who she did not know came over and translated what she had played on her violin into words. It was a scripture verse, a verse that had come up multiple times in very strange ways over the course of a few weeks previously in her own life, a verse that my friend and a few others felt God had laid on their hearts for varying reasons.

Recently, I've felt this urge to take my violin to church and play in the back as my voice in worship. It is a voice of mine and I see this as being the same as dancing in the back of a church service as worship, something that I wish I saw more of. Why are a small select, piece of the arts (a few specific, acceptable instruments) confined to the stage as means to help others enter into worship? Why are artists not using their second voice to worship in the congregation? Where is the artwork on the walls, the miming, the dancing, the poetry, the narrative read to the congregation? 

For now I will leave the implications of my earlier words to your own thoughts, but they are magnificently exciting and beautiful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment